Amenities and Services
ignature services with our compliments.
About 1906 Lodge
Built in 1906, the main building of the 1906 Lodge was a joint design by two renowned San Diego architects: Will Sterling Hebbard and Irving Gill. The exterior rough stucco, major box dormers and hipped roofs are typical of Hebbard styles. The interior’s Mission-style fireplace with spiral leaded glass windows, along with “inglenook” or box bench seats on either side of the fireplace, are typical Gill elements.
The first owner was Florence C. Roper, who ran the property as a boarding house. Among the earliest boarders were students of the School of Aviation at North Island (site of today’s U.S. Navy air base). The Winchester family acquired the building in the 1920s, and ran it under the name Bay View Lodge. The original Bay View Lodge sign now hangs in the inn’s Winchester guest room as a tribute to the family.
In 1942, the Lodge was purchased by James J. Trant and renamed Trant Manor. It was used again as a boarding house, but after many years had slipped into disrepair.
In 2009, new owners, recognizing the historic significance of the building, completed major restoration and renovation work, resulting in the beautiful 1906 Lodge that welcomes guests today. In summer 2015, the 1906 Lodge joined the Four Sisters Inns collection.